The Citadel of Qaitbay in Alexandria, Egypt was established in 1477 by Sultan Al-Qa’it Bay. It was considered one of the most important defensive strongholds not only in Egypt, but also along the Mediterranean Sea. It is located at the site of the Lighthouse of Alexandria, considered to be one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World.
The citadel served as defensive fortress during the Turks invasion against Egypt and lasted through the Mameluke, Ottoman and the Modern period. However after the British invasion of Alexandria in 1882, its role began to diminish and it was neglected until the 20th century, when the Egyptian Supreme Council of Antique decided to restore it.