Luxor temple was builtin 1400 BC by Amenhotep III and completed by Tutankhamun and Horemheb. It was then added to by Rameses ll. The temple is located on the east bank of the Nile river. Since times the temple was constructed it has served as a major place of worship. Initially the temple was dedicated to the Theban Triad- three Egyptian gods, Amun, Mut and Khonsu. During Christian times, the temple’s hypostyle hall was transformed into a Christian church. Later, the temple disappeared under the city of Luxor only to be rediscovered again and become the integral part of the city.
One of two obelisks that stood at the entrance of Luxor Temple were shipped to France in 1833. This was a gift to France from Muhammad Ali Pasha, the ruler of Egypt. This 25 metres high obelisk is to this day located in the Place De La Concorde in Paris.