Who are the Egyptian people?

Who are the Egyptian people?

Most tourists come to Egypt because of its monuments. However, getting to know the people of the country and their customs can also be an unforgettable experience.

Egyptians are said to be humble, dignified, and perhaps a little spiteful. But each local community has its own trait that sets it apart.

When the West sees progress as the solution to all human problems, Egyptians instinctively turn to a utopian past. They remember the times when the successors of the prophet Muhamad, the four caliphs called righteous, brought prosperity, justice and true faith to their land.

Here are 10 facts about Egyptians that you may not know

Book Your Luxury Egypt Tour

1. 90% of Egyptians identify themselves as ethnic Egyptians. The remaining 10% are minorities such as: Turks, Greeks, Berbers, Bedouins and Nubians.

The Egyptians spend the evening at an amusement park.

2. Everyone who visits Egypt is impressed by the religious devotion of the Egyptians. 85-90% of Egyptians are followers of Islam, mainly Sunni. 10-15% are Christians, mainly representatives of the Coptic Church.
3. Egyptian piety is matched by a love of pranks. The only quality that can compete with godliness here is a sense of humor. Political jokes are extremely harsh and brazen, but Egyptians use the slightest excuse to laugh.
4. Egyptians have won 4 Nobel prizes. Naguib Mahfouz won the Nobel Prize for Literature, Anwar Sadat and Mohamed E lBaradei received the Nobel Peace Prizes. Ahmed Zewail won an award in chemistry. The third President of Egypt, Anwar Sadat was the first Egyptian to receive the Nobel Prize in 1978.

Portrait of Egyptian President Anwar Sadat in his residence in Cairo

5. Egypt is a young society. The average age of Egyptian population in 2020 was 24.6 years.
6. Egyptians reach the age of majority at the age of 18. This is the age at which you can start voting in elections and pass your driving test.
7. According to 2017 data from the UNESCO statistical institute, the illiteracy rate in Egypt over the age of 15, i.e. until compulsory schooling, is 71.17%. This means that almost 30% of Egyptians after the age of 15 cannot read and write.
8. Egyptians do not have surnames in the traditional sense of the word. Children are given a first name, and then they inherit the name of their father, grandfather and great-grandfather, and sometimes great-great-grandfather. In official documents, Egyptians have 4 or 5 names. Women from the middle name have male names, and they do not change after marriage.

An Egyptian boy is leading a camel

9. Egyptians love football and cheer their football team with all their heart. The Egyptian national soccer team is the most successful soccer team in all of Africa. Egypt has won the African Cup of Nations 7 -times.
10. What can you learn from the Egyptians? Certainly how to be a patriot. It doesn't matter that their country is not perfect. Egyptians have many reasons to complain, and yet they are still proud of where they come from.

Egyptians are people of personal charm. Sensitivity and kindness still dominate in this country. The people of Egypt care very much about the welfare of their loved ones - they are helpful, hospitable and friendly. The warmth in interpersonal relations makes Egypt a country that’s friendly also to visitors, which has always been its great asset.

Egyptian woman at work on baking bread.

Egyptians are very friendly and it's worth visiting their country. Check out our Egypt tours and come to Egypt with our luxury travel agency in Egypt.

Safety Updates on Visiting Egypt During the Hamas-Israel War

Read more here