The content of Tutenkhamun's tomb held many amazing treasures.
The discovery by Howard Carter in November 1922 unearthed approximately 5,000 items, many of which were pure gold. There were so many artefacts that Howard Carter spent 10 years clearing and cataloguing the items in the tomb. The tomb of Tutenkhamun was prepared very quickly due to his untimely death & as such, is much smaller than the usual royal tombs. The antechamber was piled high with gold-covered furniture and dismantled chariots. The annex was full of more gold covered furniture, jars of precious oils and ointments and also food and wine. The burial chamber contained the gold covered shrines and coffins of Tutankhamun including his fabulous solid gold coffin and his famous Death Mask (composed of 11 kg of solid gold).
The 'Treasury' was guarded by a magnificent statue of the god Anubis and contained jewel chests containing priceless jewellery, model boats and the golden shrine which contained the canopic jars which housed the internal organs of Tutenkhamun.
The below lists the breathtaking treasure and types of objects that were found inside the tomb of Tutenkhamun. Many of these were made of gold and silver and encrusted with precious jewels:
* Jewellery; Bracelets, Anklets, Buckles, Scarabs, Amulets, Pendants, Pectorals, Necklaces, Earrings, Collars and Rings
* 6 Chariots
* 2 Thrones
* Ritual beds and Headrests
* Gilded Coffins and the Solid Gold coffin
* Shrines - Canopic shrine and Burial shrines
* Funeral Equipment
* Naos (a shrine in which statues were kept) covered with gold - this naos was empty but decorated with scenes of daily life and hunting
* Gilded statues - Anubis and life size sentry statues and other statuettes
* Daggers and other weapons and shields
* Musical Instruments
* Scribal Equipment
* Caskets, Vases and jars
* 139 ebony, ivory, silver, and gold walking sticks
* Clothing made of the finest linen - 50 garments including tunics, kilts, gloves, scarves and headdresses
* Ostrich fans and Golden Fans
* Games - Ebony gaming boards including Senet
* Food and Wine - 30 jars of wine
* Perfume, oils and ointments
It was an amazing sight to uncover!